Monday, July 14, 2008

Consistency is Not My Friend

Like the Yankees' offense, my blog is seriously lacking in the consistency department.

I had a couple fun things planned for the Home Run Derby and the All-Star Game but unfortunately, work will not permit me to do so. I was supposed to have off both days, but no, of course not. That would be far too easy. Instead I got called in for both days. Oh well.

As you'll come to learn, I like to ramble. A LOT. With that in mind, I will give you a few thoughts about the Yankees that I've had recently:

  • If memory serves (let me be honest, it doesn't always...), at the All-Star break last year, I believer the Yanks were one game under .500 (42-43, no?), and not to mention 10 games back behind the Sox. This year, they're 50-45 and 6 games back behind the Sox. With that said, they still have some work to do, but it could always be worse.
  • I know it's half way through the season, but I still haven't decided if the Rays are legit. A part of me thinks they're not. I have a hunch that they're about one year away from being a true contender. It'll be interesting to see how they handle a pennant race, and of course well all know how I hope that turns out for them. Speaking of the Rays, I got to meet Evan Longoria and his parents at a Cape Cod Baseball League game a couple years back. His parents were sitting in front of me and I struck up a conversation with them. He came over after the game and I got to meet him. His parents were super sweet and he was a great guy. Random tidbit for you.
  • I blame Carl Pavano for all of the Yankees injuries this year. I don't have evidence to back up my statement, but I really don't care. It's his fault and nothing you say will convince me otherwise (unless you tell me that Mr. Wall-Puncher himself, Kevin Brown, also had a hand in it. No pun intended).
  • Just to make this clear, I reserve the right to add and subtract players (from all teams) on my Least Liked list as I see fit. Typically it's more adding than subtracting and since I brought it up, Coco Crisp is a recent addition (expect a more indepth look at this list in the near future).

I have more thoughts but my brain is in sleep mode and that's about as much as you're going to get out of me for one night.

Like I said, I will have an indepth look at my Least Liked list (I'm an equal opportunity disliker--I will include players from the Yankees, although it takes a LOT for me to add a Yankee to that list). I'm also planning on talking quite a bit about Bobby Murcer--a Yankee for life.

No comments: